Oriental medicine is based on the theory that 'Ki' or 'Chi' (best translated as energy) flows to the organs and all the areas of the body through pathways known as meridians.
Located along meridians are 'tsubos', points where one can best access, stimulate or rebalance the body's energy (Ki).
Oriental physicians believed that when Ki energy was blocked or out of balance, it would lead eventually to illness of some sort resulting in various symptoms such as headaches, stress, tension, skin and bowel disorders, muscular problems, sleeplessness etc.
Shiatsu works to rebalance the body's Ki energy, enhancing ones feeling of well-being through relaxing, toning and rejuvenating the body.
Shiatsu helps improve suppleness and flexibility in the joints. It also stimulates the circulatory and the lymphatic system and assists in regulating the functioning of the internal organs by its direct effect on the nervous system.
Shiatsu often has the dual effect of relaxing and invigorating the system and can be used for common conditions such as headache, back and neck pain, muscular pain and back problems in general. It can also be used in the treatment of digestive and menstrual disorders, stress related complaints or purely as a relaxing form of body massage.
Shiatsu affects all levels of our being- the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual. Treatment is attuned to the individual's personal development of total health and character. Advice may be given on diet, exercise and lifestyle encouraging self understanding and greater independence in health matters.
Response to treatment
After Shiatsu you will probably feel invigorated yet relaxed. Sometimes the first benefits to occur do not improve the main complaint, but rather overall health.
While patients generally experience well-being, there may be temporary 'healing reactions' as toxins and negative emotions are released.
These might take the form of headache or flu like symptoms for 24 hours. In such cases contact me for advice.
Guidelines for clients
- It is best not to eat heavy meals or drink alcohol on the day of treatment. Have a light meal at least one hour before your session.
- Do not take a long hot bath on the day of treatment.
- For the treatment wear loose clothing preferably cotton such as a track or jogging suit. You will usually remain fully clothed during the session which takes place on a padded surface at floor level.
- If applicable, have details of current medical diagnosis and any medication you may be taking.
- Treatment sessions last one hour. This includes discussion time.
- Frequency and total number of sessions will vary depending on the individual client.
- Please give 24 hours notice of cancellations or the full fee will be charged.
Shiatsu can help with:
- Relaxation and tonification.
- Calming and bringing clarity to the mind.
- Improving ones general level of energy.
- Regulating the internal body systems by:
- Encouraging circulation
- Benefiting the immune system
- Balancing the hormonal system
- Regulating the digestive system
- Balancing the nervous system
- Improving suppleness and flexibility.
- Relieving tension and stress.
- Pain Control
- Conditions such as:
- Back, neck and shoulder problems
- Tension and stiffness in muscles
- Frozen shoulder
- Postural, structural and energy imbalances.
- Stress related symptoms
- Menstrual problems
- Digestive and gastrointestinal symptoms.
- General relaxation encouraging positivity and a sense of inner strength and well-being.
Costs and methods of payment can be viewed here.